Thursday, July 12, 2012

15-Day Challenge: Day 13 My Favs

Only two more days to go! Still linking up with Sar for her 15-Day blogging Challenge. Today's prompt:

List your favorites: song, quote, food, vacation spot, photo

Favorite song:

The Beatles "I Will." Listen here. Beautiful, simple lyrics that say it all.

Who knows how long I've loved you
You know I love you still
Will I wait a lonely lifetime?
If you want me to I will

For if I ever saw you
I didn't catch your name
But it never really mattered
I will always feel the same

Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart

And when at last I find you
Your song will fill the air
Sing it loud so I can hear you
Make it easy to be near you
For the things you do endear you to me
Oh, you know I will, I will


Favorite quote:

I'm not sure where I first heard my favorite quote, but it must have been quite some time ago, since I've quoted it to my kids in one form another for almost 30 years. I didn't know the source of the quote until much later. Charles R. Swindoll's statement on the impact of attitude on life is quite long; you can read it here. But the part I think is most important is this:

"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge if our Attitudes."

I'm throwing in two extra quotes for good measure.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel)

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Maya Angelou

 
Favorite food:

This one is tough. My all-time favorite comfort food is macaroni & cheese. But I love, love, love fresh, ripe avocado, and I could eat bread all day, every day. My mom loved mashed avocado on toast, and that's one of my all-time favorite breakfast foods. Mmmmmm!

Favorite vacation spot:
 
My very favorite spot in the entire world is the coast of the Pacific ocean. I am particularly drawn to the beaches in Oregon and Washington. I love any area of those coastlines with huge, crashing waves and a sandy, walkable beach. My dream home would either be on the coast or close enough to the coast so I could walk on the hard-packed sand every day. It doesn't matter that the weather is not always the best, because the ocean itself is the draw. The sound of the crashing waves and the smell of salt in the air both mean I am at the most gorgeous place on earth.

Face Rock at Bandon, Oregon
Long Beach peninsula, Washington
 
Favorite photo:

This requires a little explanation. Daughter Sarah is well-known for her goofy tongue-to-the-side pictures. Even better when she can convince others to join her for the silly shot. At her grandmother's (& her identical twin sister's!) 80th birthday party, Sarah convinced grandma to pose for such a picture. Afterward, grandma asked "Now why did we do that?" It was precious. Wish I had that photo, but I don't.

Last fall, we had a wonderful family vacation on the Oregon coast (see Favorite vacation spot above). My siblings and I and our significant others were joined by all our relatives from my mother's side; my aunt, her two children and their significant others. We had a wonderful week full of laughter, great food and good wine. We took tons of pictures, and they were gracious enough to pose for a picture to send to Sarah in Texas. They were wonderful sports, and it was great fun!


Anxious to read your favorites, too!

4 comments:

  1. I love that you blog! I don't know how Sarah has so much bloggy time either. However she says you can hook me up with amazing Mac and cheese! I also love Dr. Seuss and the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm going to have to try avocado on bread. I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love that picture, and the story behind it! My mom has three siblings, and it's so fun to see them all get together and be siblings again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat avocado on most things, but I've never tried it on plain toast before. I'm so in love with avocado that I'm quite convinced it'll taste good with anything!

    ReplyDelete