Saturday, February 11, 2012

The True Love Story of the Great Lakes

Linking up with From Mrs. to Mama for a Valentine's Day special!


Most of the love stories I've read involve new or young love. But finding a love that lasts beyond those first few years is much more rare. My husband and I recently celebrated our 30th anniversary, and the fact that our love has withstood the tests of time speaks for itself. But that's not to say that it has been easy! We've weathered a storm or two (or five or ten), but those times that were less than stellar have only made us appreciate the good times even more. So here's our story.

How long have you and your significant other been together? 

My valentine and I have been together 30 yrs. and seven months. The math is easy...we met and were married within seven months. When you know, you know!

How did you meet?

It was 1981, and I had just been hired as the first female nuclear inspector at our naval shipyard. Other than the clerical staff, I was the only woman in the department, so the women working in the office took a particular interest in me. One woman kept telling me about this handsome man who worked in another building, and how she thought we would make the perfect couple, even though I insisted I was not interested. Then one day during lunch, I heard a wolf whistle. As I turned to glare at the offending person, I realized it was the handsome fellow my friend had mentioned, and couldn't help myself as I smiled instead. Later that week, he asked me out to lunch. Silly me, I expected food! To this day he insists that he really invited me "out to walk at lunch". Let the miscommunication begin!

How long have you been married?

Exactly 30 years and five weeks.

Where did you get married? Big or small wedding?

We were married in a simple ceremony on the lava rocks on the beach at Kona, Hawaii. We found a woman who planned small weddings, and she arranged for the location, found the minister and provided flower leis. The planner and her friend even served as our witnesses and our photographer! I wore a simple sun dress (still have, almost fits), and my groom wore a Hawaiian shirt and shorts. My 93 yr. old grandmother was shocked that she could "...see his knees!" in the wedding pictures.

Do you have any nicknames that you call one another?

When we're in a crowd, he calls me by our last name, Lake. I usually call him sweetheart. 

Name 3 things you love most about your honey.

His love for his children, his sense of humor, his incredible work ethic.

Tell us how he proposed?

This is a hard question, because neither of us remembers the exact moment we became engaged! We had been dating a short while, and at some point it just became a given. We were both in the right stages of our lives and knew it was inevitable that we would get married and start a life together.

Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for V day or strawberries, champagne and rose petals?

Let's just say he usually gives me a mushy, sentimental card, and then cooks us a delicious lobster dinner. Sweet AND practical!

Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?

Definitely pop a Netflix movie in and relax on the couch.

Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your husband one day? If you could do anything?Go anywhere?

We'd like to go to Europe together...soon.

Tell us what you plan on doing this Valentine's Day.

We have no special plans this year, but I expect we'll do a late lunch at a local restaurant in order to beat the evening rush.

Are you asking for anything this Valentine's Day?

No, we don't usually exchange gifts, just cards. But this year I am getting the gift of good health...I get my new hip the day after Valentine's Day!

Give us one piece of advice on keeping a relationship strong and full of love.

Remember that you and your spouse are a team. You may each have different strengths, but you should be working together toward the same goals. It's vital for the team to be on the same page when it comes to financial accountability, parenting style and long-term goals.

Show us a picture of what love means to you.

 

3 comments:

  1. You know that I have a good .jpg of that photo, right? Want me to send it do you?

    <3 I love this story. Even though I know it by heart, I could read it over and over and love it every time.

    I'm so lucky to have you two as my parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, please, send it my way! I was going to cite the photographer but the quality was not as good as the original so I didn't. Still, GREAT PICTURE COURTESY OF SARAH LAKE!!!!

      Delete