Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Weird Wednesday v.2.20

In celebration of things quirky, weird, odd or funny. If it strikes my funny bone, you'll probably see it here.

"It's weird when people start sentences with 'frankly' - as if their other sentences don't count." ----Doug Coupland

I recently came across this blurb in a national magazine that is notable (or used to be notable) for offering condensed versions of popular books. Fun fact:

Who knew?

It got me wondering; what method was used to come up with this startling fact?

Were the parents surveyed? Tell me Mrs. Brown, at what age was your child the most adorable? Any parent worth his/her salt knows the right answer to that one. The ONLY correct answer is "this very minute."

Perhaps the children themselves were surveyed:

So when exactly did you reach full adorable potential?

I believe this factoid begs an even bigger question: who really cares? I can't imagine telling my own children that they have been on the downhill side of adorableness for over twenty years. Should I tell my almost 5- year-old granddaughter that she's already jumped the shark? Will this fact convince advertisers to utilize 41/2-year-olds rather than 3-year-olds or 6-year-olds in their ad campaigns? Well, that last one might actually be true, but I have to think that overall adorableness is more important than age-related adorableness.

Who really cares when anyone is most adorable?

But then, what do I know? I'm not a scientist...just a mom.

P.S. I'm having format issues today; SORRY!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I loved your commentary on this whole post! My daughter is only 2, so we haven't reached maximum adorableness yet but I fear for our safety when we do! I can barely contain my squishy hugs for her now. So glad to know that by the time she hits 5 I'll no longer have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an older sister, I would have to say I disagree with the unnamed Reader's magazine, because I remember my younger siblings at age 4.5, and they were certainly not at their most adorable. Most "pain in the butt", maybe, but not adorable. I agree with you: looking from a mother's perspective, our children are adorable at every age.

    By the way, I plan to be downright adorable this weekend, when I hit 62!

    ReplyDelete