Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Goes Without Saying

Our recent anniversary got me thinking about the evolution of love over the course of a relationship. However, our relationship is probably NOT the norm, since Wally and I met and married within seven months. So I really can't speak to anyone elses idea of love, but I think I can speak to ours.

When Wally and I first met, we fell in love pretty quickly. We were both at that stage in life where we knew what we were looking for and ready to act when we found it. Unfortunately, my first impression of him was not so favorable. In 1981, I was the first woman hired into the department. As I walked through the warehouse, I heard a wolf-whistle aimed directly at me. I turned to glare at the offending party, and found Wally and his dreamy eyes looking back at me. The rest is history! Just for the record, Wally invited me out to lunch shortly thereafter, and that's when the miscommunication started. I thought he was inviting me out for food, and he thought he was inviting me out to walk during lunch. Our communication skills have only slightly improved :)

Soon after we were married, Wally surprised me with a special gift. (I still have it somewhere, but can't find it) He made a "Liz Lake Fan Club" membership card that listed him as Fan #1. It was very sweet! Since then, he's given me sweet, mushy cards on just about every occasion. Cut to 29 years later, and we are very comfortable in our relationship. So did I get a sweet, mushy card for our anniversary? You be the judge....here it is:


In my opinion....YES! This was a very sweet gesture and very typical of our relationship. We don't need extravagant gifts or saccharine cards to show our love. When he moves my load of clothes from the washer to the dryer, or empties the dishwasher, or buys me dark chocolate just for fun...that tells me everything I need to know.

Yes, we're in love. And yes, we're in it for the long haul!


1 comment:

  1. Aw, mom, that's so sweet it made me cry! I love it.

    And dad...nice post-it!

    ReplyDelete